Paula Deen, accuser settle lawsuit

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 5:30 PM
Last updated 6:18 PM

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Lawyers signed a deal Friday to drop a discrimination and sexual harassment lawsuit against celebrity cook Paula Deen, who was dropped by Food Network and other business partners after she said under oath that she had used racial slurs in the past.

A document filed in U.S. District Court in Savannah said both sides agreed to drop the lawsuit “without any award of costs or fees to any party.” No other details were released. The judge had not signed an order to finalize the dismissal.

Former employee Lisa Jackson sued Deen and her brother Bubba Hiers last year, saying she suffered from sexual harassment and racially offensive talk and employment practices that were unfair to black workers during her five years as a manager of Uncle Bubba’s Seafood and Oyster House.

The dismissal deal came less than two weeks after Judge William T. Moore dismissed the race discrimination claims, ruling that Jackson, who is white, had no standing to sue over what she said was poor treatment of black workers. He let Jackson’s claims of sexual harassment stand.

“While this has been a difficult time for both my family and myself, I am pleased that the judge dismissed the race claims and I am looking forward to getting this behind me, now that the remaining claims have been resolved,” Deen said in a statement Friday.

While Deen said in her statement that “those who truly know how I live my life know that I believe in kindness and fairness for everyone,” she also promised to take a closer look at how her employees are treated.

“Moving forward, my team and I are working to review the workplace environment issues that were raised in this matter and to retool all of my businesses operations,” Deen said. “I look forward to getting back to doing what I love.”

Deen is co-owner of the restaurant, which is primarily run by her brother. Jackson also claimed Hiers sexually harassed her when she worked at the restaurant from 2005 to 2010.

The deal to resolve the suit comes little more than a month after Deen and Hiers dumped their attorneys and hired a new legal team.

In her lawsuit, Jackson had claimed Hiers frequently made jokes containing racial slurs at work and prohibited black workers from using the restaurant’s front entrance and customer restrooms. She said she was personally offended because she had biracial nieces.

Attorneys for Deen said in court filings that Jackson’s lawsuit was based on “scurrilous and false claims.” They said that before Jackson filed suit, she threatened to embarrass Deen publicly unless she paid the ex-employee “huge sums of money.”

Comments (13)

deestafford
18385
deestafford 08/23/13 - 06:00 pm

I firmly believe this was all started by a shyster lawyer who

thought he could threaten Paula Deen and found a willing accomplish in a woman who a few months before had written a letter to Paula Deen and her brother for all they had done for her when she was in a time of need and they gave her a chance when no one else would.

Now, where does Paula Deen go to get her reputation back?

nocnoc
31013
nocnoc 08/23/13 - 06:19 pm

This was a setup from the get go.

The timing and release of the deliberately Misquoted statements, info taken out of the timeline of when it was made and honestly acknowledged it happen over 15 years prior. Then the blackmail attempt.

All happening right around a high profile racial trial that was wrapping up.

NOW WE HEAR
It was settled with BOTH sides agreeing to DROP the lawsuit.

QUOTING
“without any award of costs or fees to any party.”

Maybe Paula should do some suing of her own?

ragingbull
945
ragingbull 08/23/13 - 06:29 pm

I think the Food Network owes

I think the Food Network owes Paula Deen a tremendous apology and reinstatement. This whole issue has been blown out of proportion.

nocnoc
31013
nocnoc 08/23/13 - 07:26 pm

I admit

I got a Hoecake recipe 2nd hand from her show.

Been missing them since I could not get back to the Mountains for years.

Sweet son
8257
Sweet son 08/23/13 - 09:02 pm

Out of court settlement

Deen's lawyers probably brokered an out of court deal with this woman to drop this baseless lawsuit. I hope it wasn't much money.

Marinerman1
3221
Marinerman1 08/23/13 - 09:08 pm

Paula does not need to EVER

Paula does not need to EVER go back to the Food Network...!

JRC2024
6955
JRC2024 08/24/13 - 02:01 am

In my opinion she was never

In my opinion she was never guilty of anything. I am sure all of us said things years back and even now that we are not proud of and this goes for both sides.

jmo
12252
jmo 08/24/13 - 04:07 am

Everyone loses except.....

the lawyers. Imagine that.

seenitB4
72831
seenitB4 08/24/13 - 07:25 am

It is over

Heh..only in the courts....yeh, I would bet the new lawyers came up with "something" for all to walk away....now P Deen please don't be so trusting my dear.....just go back to what you do best..COOKING!

deestafford
18385
deestafford 08/24/13 - 08:55 am

My hat is off to Merry's Trash and Treasures

for their using Paula Deen in their advertisements. I think it would be a nice gesture to call them and let them know how much you support and appreciate that.

Bizkit
21983
Bizkit 08/24/13 - 09:16 am

Now Dean can likely sue

Now Dean can likely sue FoodNetwork for wrongful termination- hope she wins a million for compensation. Too bad she wasn't on MSNBC cause you can't get fired there for racist comments- apparently.

deestafford
18385
deestafford 08/24/13 - 10:46 am

I wonder if she now realizes that all those liberal folks she

palled around with when she was a high on the hog curiosity to them are not to be trusted since none of them came to her defense.

nocnoc
31013
nocnoc 08/24/13 - 04:53 pm

BTW: as this story fades into the less read areas.

The Web-Headline at the time of my posting allows the reader to image a financial settlement. "Paula Deen, accuser settle lawsuit"

When in fact the case was Mutually Dismissed .
No one got anything from the way the story.

Now I have to wonder why the plaintiff decided to turn tail and ran after the Blackmailer was convicted?